Wednesday, May 14, 2014

English Tour Buses

So I work every Saturday. Normally nothing that exciting happens. Sometimes I will get some crabby person yell at me, or maybe my friends will surprise me and come in. But than occasionally something exciting will happen. But before I launch into a story, I need to define 'exciting' when you work in fast food. Anything out of the usual grind is exciting. Once I was so bored that I jumped out the 2nd drive through window and ran around the back and crawled through the first window. It gave me a breef feeling of excitement, and a little rebellious, ( not that rebellious, one of the GM (general mangers) was sitting on the curb watching me. Luckily Brooks, is a lot of fun so he didn't say anything.) but real excitement is when you don't do something to make it exciting. It just happens, that's when it's fun.

So, getting back to the story, I work every Saturday. I usually work 11:00-7:00, but recently one of my coworkers quit, so I now I have been working his shift, 8:30-4:00.
I barely know the breakfast menu. But luckily the breakfast menu is a lot easier than the lunch menu.

I got to work last Saturday a little early, checked my make up and than clocked in. My boss was super nice ( he is always super nice) knowing that I didn't really know the breakfast menu, and showed me where everything was on the computer screen. From than on it was pretty normal. (which basically means selling gallons of coffee to all the old people.)

Around nine my boss took me and the other girl working and started explaining a bus that was coming.

"We have a bus coming around ten or ten thirty." Buses are fast food workers nightmare. 20-25 people dropped at your feet hungry and wanting orders taken all at the same time.

"I think it's the English Tour Bus that comes through every year around this time." 

"Some things to keep in mind is that they have different meaning for things. If they order a biscuit you have to ask if they want a biscuit or a cookie. And they don't drink any flavorings in their Lattes. They drink them plain."

Sure enough around 10:15 a whole bus load of English people were dropped at our feet.

For the most part nothing that strange happened. It was interesting to hear their accents. They were easy to understand.
But still some confusion happened with a man. It was about flavorings in a Latte.

"And do you want any flavorings in your Latte?" I asked

"I don't understand. I just want a coffee Latte. That's all I want." What was increasingly funny about this was that he couldn't understand me. He kept asking me what I was saying. I talk really fast, so I try to slow down at work.

"Well your friends all got theirs plain. Would you like me to do just that?" Looking befuddled he said yes. Once everyone had had their orders taken, I went to go help the runners (the people who put all the food on the trays.) It was maybe ten minutes later that one of the runners handed out a bag of food to the bus driver, yelling the contents. Almost instantly the Latte man and his wife started muttering and looking at their receipt.

"That was our meal."
"This is a stupid system"
"It doesn't work"

We quickly fixed the order but I think those English people still thought "it was a stupid system" it made me laugh. They seemed to fit the English stereotype of thinking they can do everything better than Americans. It was just to funny.

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment