Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Tanzania (picture heavy)

Hey,
So I am back in the US. I have been so tired and overwhelmed, that I have been putting this post off. (not that I don't like rambling to myself, or you, but this is going to be a lengthy post.) Oh boy where to start. Well I guess it all starts with Boot camp. For more details on right before my trip, click me!
To start out my summer, on June 6th I flew from the Minneapolis airport to the Orlando airport, where I would meet my team at The Lord’s Boot camp. The purpose of Boot camp is to train summer teams to go overseas as missionaries. The Boot camp days are pretty busy. Our team took several classes at boot camp, including, Cement, Music, Drama (I loved this class) Puppets, and Lay out.  Another thing we had to do as a team every morning was run the O.C.  I loved the O.C.  
Here my team is at our eating site at boot camp. I am in the maroon shirt looking at my hand in the middle of the picture.**
 My team stayed at Boot camp for a little over 2 weeks.  On June 25th my team started the long trip to Tanzania. We flew from Orlando to D.C  to Addis Ababa Ethiopia to the Kilimanjaro Tanzania airport. It took about 2-3 days to get there.
Saying good bye to the American coast.
Tracking where our plane was.
My team and I first worked on the construction of a bible school. The Landscape was mostly corn fields and sunflower fields. Weather wise it was dry, and kinda warm.
Sunflower and Maize fields were everywhere.
The building we were working on.
It was hard work at the construction site. One thing we had to do was hall 5 gallon buckets of water 1\2 mile to where we were mixing cement.
Kilimanjaro from our first campsite.***

While we were at this site we were able to lead a 98 year old man who had 6 wives, and 38 kids, to Christ. We also got to give him a Swahili bible. This was so cool! 
A couple of kids came to see us work, this little girl like my hard hat.
 We stayed and worked on the school for a little over 2 weeks.
After that we got to back pack part way up Kilimanjaro. 
Selfie while backpacking up a mountain, isn't easy.
 While on the mountain we went door to door witnessing. This was fun, most of the people we visited were already believers, but we were able to offer encouragement to them.
After visiting this lady she walked with us to then end of the road. She reached out and held my hand.***
 The mountain was very green and jungly. 
the top of Jaro.**
It was also colder on the mountain. Several of my team mates bought extra blankets in town, but me being of the northern climates, handled the chilly weather pretty well I think. (At times I did huddle in my sleeping bag to keep warm. :P) 
*


We flew home through the same route that we had come to Tanzania. Once we touched down in Orlando my team went back to Boot camp, which had now been turned in to debrief, which lasted 5 days.  And then, on July 29 I flew home.  I had a great summer, sorry this post was long in the coming, I have been very busy since getting home. :)


*Most of these pictures were taken by my team mates, May, Natalia, and Caleb, Pictures with one * May took, ones with ** Caleb took, and ***  are ones Natalia took. If there are no stars I took them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment